We tend to associate the ego with vanity and an obsession with one’s self but the ego is also many other things. The ego causes us to create a false sense of self; we make up ideas in our minds about our inferiorities and weaknesses, and the ego is also based on what others think of us.
The ego separates us from who we really are, and is the cause of the repetitive thinking that takes place in our minds. Any negative emotions you experience, such as upset, anger, irritation, are all produced from an egoic state of mind.
Here are seven quotes that will inspire you to lose the ego.
1. “The ego loves to strengthen itself by complaining—either in thoughts or words—about other people, the situation you find yourself in, something that is happening right now but “shouldn’t be,” and even about yourself.” –Eckhart Tolle
2. “Nothing kills the ego like playfulness, like laughter. When you start taking life as fun, the ego has to die, it cannot exist anymore.” -Osho
3. “Sitting with the poor and less fortunate people removes the ego and pride from your heart.” -Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyya
4. “So much energy is wasted protecting our dignity, status, pride and accomplishments.” -Deepak Chopra
5. “The ego is always looking to find something; the spirit sees what’s already there.” -Marianne Williamson
6. “The ultimate aim of the ego is not to see something, but to be something.” -Muhammad Iqbal
7. “Starve your ego. Feed your soul.” -Unknown
Also, check out our latest Q&A ‘How can I Stop Being Shy?‘, which explores how shyness is an indication of the egoic state of mind.